acquired July 23, 2012 download large image (1 MB, JPEG, 4552x3640)
acquired July 23, 2012 download Google Earth file (KMZ)
Vicente formed as a tropical depression over the western Pacific Ocean on July 20, 2012, and strengthened to a tropical storm the following day, Unisys Weather reported. On July 23, Vicente strengthened to a typhoon. The same day, the U.S. Navy’s Joint Typhoon Warning Center (JTWC) reported that Vicente was located roughly 75 nautical miles (140 kilometers) south of Hong Kong. The storm had maximum sustained winds of 120 knots (220 kilometers per hour) with gusts up to 145 knots (270 kilometers per hour).
The Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA’s Aqua satellite captured this natural-color image of Vicente on July 23, 2012, as the storm clouds extended over Hong Kong and the surrounding region.
As of July 23, the JTWC storm track forecast showed Vicente moving primarily westward across southeastern China and northern Vietnam over the next few days.
By the time Vicente approached the China coast, it had already caused substantial damage in the Philippines. Known there as Ferdie, the storm was blamed for two deaths, several people missing, impassable roads, and evacuations.
- GMA News. (2012, July 21) Floods from heavy rain turn Metro Manila into “waterworld.” Accessed July 23, 2012.
- Joint Typhoon Warning Center. (2012, July 23) Typhoon 09W (Vicente) Warning. [Online] URL: http://www.usno.navy.mil/NOOC/nmfc-ph/RSS/jtwc/warnings/wp0912web.txt. Accessed July 23, 2012.
- Laude, J. (2012, July 22) Two dead, 6 missing in floods. The Philippine Star. Accessed July 23, 2012.
- Unisys Weather. (2012, July 23) Vicente Tracking Information. Accessed July 23, 2012.
NASA image courtesy LANCE MODIS Rapid Response Team at NASA GSFC. Caption by Michon Scott.
- Aqua - MODIS
- NASA: China - Hong Kong - Typhoon Vicente - 24.07.12
Ricardo M Marcenaro - Facebook
Operative blogs of The Solitary Dog:
solitary dog sculptor:
Solitary Dog Sculptor I:
enviar materiales para publicar,
submit materials for publication,
Diario La Nación
Cuenta Comentarista en el Foro:
My blogs are an open house to all cultures, religions and countries. Be a follower if you like it, with this action you are building a new culture of tolerance, open mind and heart for peace, love and human respect.
Mis blogs son una casa abierta a todas las culturas, religiones y países. Se un seguidor si quieres, con esta acción usted está construyendo una nueva cultura de la tolerancia, la mente y el corazón abiertos para la paz, el amor y el respeto humano.