miércoles, 23 de septiembre de 2009

Poem: Karen Alkalay-Gut. The Divorce

THE DIVORCE


Body, you and I must part.

Our short affair is over.

I knew, I knew from the start

you would prove a faithless lover.

I took as a matter of course,

though I did not dwell on it,

our love would end in divorce.

So I was not surprised a bit

by the first signs of neglect:

suspicious colds in the head,

apologetic aches,

a sudden chill in bed.

But it took your breathing hard

at a voice on the telephone,

to make me doubt your heart

skipped beats for me alone.

At last I caught you out,

and you, so hard to please,

brought at a single stroke

trembling to your knees.

And now at fever pitch,

and begging for your whore! --

as if I were keeping you!

Well, what are you waiting for?

Go! and don't come back!

It's time already. Go!

And you'll soon be in the sack --

As I only too well know.


(Jerusalem Review II, 20)

Karen Alkalay-Gut page (Clic here)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario