Forecasters have described the event as the largest-scale flood in Russia’s history. Floodwaters forced more than ten thousand people from their homes, inundated vast swaths of farmland, and swamped numerous roads.
In the city of Khabarovsk, the Amur River had swollen to a record height of 696 centimeters (274 inches) on August 21, according to media reports. If the river height reaches 780 centimeters (307 inches), officials in Khabarovsk will begin mass evacuations of the city, which is home to 575,000 people.
The clouds cleared on August 21, 2013, when the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA’s Terra satellite acquired the top image. The false-color image is made from shortwave-infrared, near-infrared, and red light. In this type of image, water is black or dark blue. Sediment-laden water or muddy ground is pale blue. Clouds are turquoise; plant-covered land is green; and bare earth is tan-pink.
The lower image, taken on August 21, 2008, shows conditions during drier times. The contrast reveals extensive flooding along the Amur and Ussuri rivers. Widespread floods also color many of the tributaries of the two rivers.
- Bloomberg (2013, August 17) Russia’s Worst Flooding Prompts Emergency in Far East. Accessed August 21, 2013.
- Government of Russia (2013, August 21) Refined Information on floods in Far Eastern Federal District as of 08:00 AM, Moscow time, 21.08.2013. Accessed August 21, 2013.
- Radio Free Europe Radio Liberty (2013, August 21) Amur River Still Rising, Khabarovsk Prepares Evacuation. Accessed August 21, 2013.
- Ria Novosti (2013, August 22) Amur River Waters Rise 3 Feet Above Critical Mark. Accessed August 21, 2013.
- RT (2013, August 18) Russia’s Far East hit by Biggest floods in 120 Years. Accessed August 21, 2013.
- Russia Beyond the Headlines (2013, August 21) Flood covers thousands of miles of Russian Far East. Accessed August 21, 2013.
- Terra - MODIS
NASA: Russia - Amur and Khabarovsk regions - Severe Floods Hit Eastern Russia - 08.23.13
Ricardo M Marcenaro - Facebook
Blogs in operation of The Solitary Dog:
Solitary Dog Sculptor:
Solitary Dog Sculptor I:
enviar materiales para publicar,
submit materials for publication,
My blogs are an open house to all cultures, religions and countries. Be a follower if you like it, with this action you are building a new culture of tolerance, open mind and heart for peace, love and human respect.
Mis blogs son una casa abierta a todas las culturas, religiones y países. Se un seguidor si quieres, con esta acción usted está construyendo una nueva cultura de la tolerancia, la mente y el corazón abiertos para la paz, el amor y el respeto humano.