The Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA’s Terra satellite captured this natural-color image of the storms as they approached the China coast on August 2, 2012.
Saola’s clouds engulfed Taiwan, but the storm looked less organized than it had the day before. The smaller storm, Damrey, sported a distinct eye, and actually packed stronger winds on August 2. The U.S. Navy’s Joint Typhoon Warning Center (JTWC) reported that Saola had maximum sustained winds of 45 knots (85 kilometers per hour) and gusts up to 55 knots (100 kilometers per hour). Meanwhile, Damrey had sustained winds of 75 knots (140 kilometers per hour) and gusts up to 90 knots (165 kilometers per hour).
As the storms approached the coast, Chinese authorities urged local governments to watch the storms closely and warn residents of danger as quickly as possible, China Daily reported on August 2. Located between the projected storm tracks, Shanghai made emergency preparations for the coming storms, and tens of thousands of fishing boats were ordered to return to port.
By the time it made landfall in southeastern China, Saola had already caused widespread damage in the Philippines and Taiwan. News reports placed the combined death toll at more than 40. In China, Damrey and Saola downed power lines, forced the cancellation of dozens of flights, and prompted the evacuation of hundreds of thousands of residents.
- CNN. (2012, August 3) 2 tropical cyclones strike Chinese coast in quick succession. Accessed August 3, 2012.
- Deutsche Presse-Agentur. (2012, August 3) Typhoon Saola death toll rises to 44 as storms hit China. The Hindu. Accessed August 3, 2012.
- Joint Typhoon Warning Center. (2012, August 2) Tropical Storm 11W (Damrey) Warning. [Online] URL: http://www.usno.navy.mil/NOOC/nmfc-ph/RSS/jtwc/warnings/wp1112web.txt Accessed August 2, 2012.
- Joint Typhoon Warning Center. (2012, August 2) Tropical Storm 10W (Saola) Warning. [Online] URL: http://www.usno.navy.mil/NOOC/nmfc-ph/RSS/jtwc/warnings/wp1012web.txt. Accessed August 2, 2012.
- Unisys Weather. (2012, August 2) Damrey Tracking Information. Accessed August 2, 2012.
- Unisys Weather. (2012, August 2) Saola Tracking Information. Accessed August 2, 2012.
- Zhu, J., Yingying S. (2012, August 2) China braces for 2 typhoons. China Daily. Accessed August 2, 2012.
- Xinhua. (2012, August 3) Typhoon Damrey sweeps east China. Accessed August 3, 2012.
- Terra - MODIS
Ricardo M Marcenaro - Facebook
Operative blogs of The Solitary Dog:
solitary dog sculptor:
Solitary Dog Sculptor I:
enviar materiales para publicar,
submit materials for publication,
Diario La Nación
Cuenta Comentarista en el Foro:
My blogs are an open house to all cultures, religions and countries. Be a follower if you like it, with this action you are building a new culture of tolerance, open mind and heart for peace, love and human respect.
Mis blogs son una casa abierta a todas las culturas, religiones y países. Se un seguidor si quieres, con esta acción usted está construyendo una nueva cultura de la tolerancia, la mente y el corazón abiertos para la paz, el amor y el respeto humano.